Even though Christmas is already over, we still have one more major event to look forward to, aka New Year! If you are going out to a fun event this New Year, we hope you have an amazing time! If you are planning to either host or attend a friend/family party, then we have a great recipe for you to try. This recipe is known as slow cooker Beef Bourguignon, which we improvised using Binging with Babish from Julie and Julia. We modified Babish’s recipe by placing it in a slow cooker, since we were bringing this to a party and wanted to keep the Beef Bourguignon nice and warm. Now lets getting into making this yummy dish!
- 3 pounds of chuck roast cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 6 strips of thick cut turkey bacon (or regular bacon, depending your preference)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sliced onion
- 4-5 peeled and chopped carrots
- 3 cups burgundy
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp of chopped thyme
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of baby potatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Over medium heat, warm a tablespoon of vegetable oil and butter. Saute the turkey bacon for roughly 3 minutes. Once brown and all the fat is rendered out, remove the bacon from the pan and place on a plate covered in a paper towel to absorb any remaining fat.
- Place seasoned chuck roast cubes into the remaining oil, butter, and bacon fat. Make sure not to overcrowd your beef. Cook until a nice golden brown on all sides and set aside on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Add the onion and carrots to the saucepan. Saute in the remaining fat until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the burgundy, deglaze and get all the yummy burnt stuff off the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Place beef cubes into a slow cooker (the bigger the slow cooker the better), along with the flour, vegetables (carrots and onions that were sauteed), baby potatoes, mushrooms, turkey bacon, wine from the deglazed pan, and beef stock. Add garlic, thyme, and tomato paste. Mix and make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Place in either high for 5 hours or low for 10 hours.
- At hour 4 or hour 8, make sure to check for 1) flavor, 2) potato tender, and 3) sauce thickness. If you believe that the sauce is not thick enough, make sure to add a bit more flour and stir everything thoroughly.
- Once you have reached your designated time, place that yummy Beef Bourguignon on a plate and enjoy!
- Note: we recommend either having a side of a mixed salad or rice, both work great with this recipe
This was such an easy recipe to follow and the flavor of this dish was spectacular! We made this dish for a holiday party and everyone loved it. If you decide to follow Babish’s recipe, we recommend using the crock pot when you are taking this dish to your friend/family member’s home, that way the food remains warm. The last thing you want is to do such an amazing job and then serve it cold.
I hope you have enjoyed our lovely Beef Bourguignon recipe! If you do try out this recipe, let us know your thoughts below and hope you have an amazing day!!
P.S.: If you are interested in seeing the list of all of our blog posts, please click here