Welcome to our first of many thanksgiving related posts! Today we will be focusing on one of the staple dishes, which is stuffing. We are pretty new to the Thanksgiving game, so we looked for help in order to make this yummy dish. The recipe that we chose was cornbread stuffing by Tasty The great thing about Tasty is their ability to provide simple and short videos on how to make different dishes. Below are the ingredients from tasty (with a few modifications from us). If you are interested in the original recipe, please make sure to click on the blue link above. Now lets get started with this fulfilling dish:
- 4 cups of cornbread (Note: we made our own through a cornbread mix)
4 cups white bread (note: we used loafed bread and cut in cubes)
4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Unsalted butter or cooking spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- salt, to taste
- 2 green apples, peeled and diced
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
2 tablespoons fresh sage
3 cups chicken broth
- First, make the Cornbread (or store bought ) at least one day before serving the stuffing.
- For the stuffing, start by cutting the cornbread into cubes.
- Spread 4 cups of white bread cubes and 4 cups of the cornbread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and leave out overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch (33x23x2 cm) baking dish with butter (or cooking spray) and set aside.
- Transfer the bread cubes to a large bowl.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and sprinkle with the salt and cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the bowl of bread and mix.
- In the same sauté pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil and let brown for 30 seconds. Add the apples and nutmeg and sauté until the apples are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the apples to the bread bowl and mix.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook, breaking it up as it browns, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to the bread bowl and mix.
- Mix in the sage.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the buttered baking dish.
- Pour the chicken stock around the edges of the baking dish.
- Put the baking dish on the middle oven rack and bake at 400°F (200°C), uncovered for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
P.S.: If you are interested in seeing the list of all of our blog posts, please click here